Monday 16 June 2014

Naan khatai biscuits

Sometimes I just want a quick recipe that I can whip up in no time and that still produces great results.
A while back I had posted a naan khatai (better than shortbread) recipe that produced AMAZING buttery, crunchy cookies. These are literally large golden coins of crumbly, buttery goodness.

The only downside is the entire process that is a bit time consuming as well as the time set aside for refrigeration, which frankly speaking I don't have much of anymore.
With a curious little Snugglebug always up to something or the other, I constantly have to have my eyes on him!!

These cookies that I recently got the recipe of are perfect!
Not only are they ridiculously easy to make, but they require the simplest of ingredients that are pantry staples.

While they are baking in the oven, the most gorgeous buttery aroma will fill your house and.. I do not exaggerate: when you bite in to these gorgeous little biscuits, they literally melt and disappear in your mouth!!
They are divine!! Not to mention, Snugglebug is addicted to them!!
Nothing better than treating my baby to homemade goodies made with love and knowing exactly what has gone in to them!!

This recipe yields about thirty gorgeous little biscuits.

It's remarkable how such amazing results can be achieved by such little effort!






Ingredients:

250 grams butter salted
150 grams sugar
400 grams plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg

Method

Cream butter and sugar till fluffy.
Beat egg and gradually add the flour and baking powder. Finally, shape the dough in to little balls and place them on your lined baking tray.
For reasons unknown to mankind (or maybe they are known but I'm too lazy to find out), these cookies traditionally have tiny stamp of food colouring on top. You can add or omit this step because it doesn't make any difference to the taste!!

Bake on 150 degrees for 35mins- they carry on cooking once you remove them from the oven but when they are cooled and if the center is still soft, put them back in the oven for another 15 minutes.

Make a piping hot cup of sweet Desi tea, settle down comfortably with your favourite book or movie and enjoy nibbling on these crazy yummy cookies :-)

-S

2 comments:

anupam-g said...

Dear Ms Fauzia,
I came across your blog searching for recipe of Banana Fritters.
Last night wife and I spent good 1 hour going through your recipes. Your recipes, method of describing, and, photos are all top quality, and very easy to follow. We could not decide whether you are a professional chef or not.
Thanks for sharing.
And our love to your son.
Best of luck.

Ritu & Anupam Gupta
Delhi

A tablespoon of This... said...

Dear Ritu and Anupam
Many thanks for your very kind and encouraging comment! My name is actually Shahida, however I often refer to Fauzia's recipes. She has a fantastic website that I am sure you will love. You can find her on Fauziaskitchenfun :-)
Thank you so much for your motivational comment. I am actually just a home cook looking after my baby boy :-)
Take care!,